Good nutrition helps to maintain positive physical and mental wellbeing.
As we age, physiological changes make us more vulnerable to malnutrition. Effects of ageing include metabolism decreases, the absorption of nutrients becoming less effective and our immune system getting weaker which can increase risk of illness and can impact appetite. These effects of ageing make older people particularly vulnerable to malnutrition.
Good nutrition and its benefits
Good nutrition can prevent malnutrition.
- It supports our bodies to function.
- It reduces the risk of chronic disease.
- It can improve mental wellbeing.
- Good nutrition can reduce the risk of disability.
Different Age Concerns run a range of nutrition programmes to keep older people happy and healthy. Practical nutrition programmes are run in Hamilton, Christchurch and Auckland.
Eat Well Live Well nutrition presentations
Its objectives are to:
- Gain information on the changing nutritional needs as we age
- Learn ways to use pantry ingredients stocked in case of illness or lockdown
- Increase knowledge on shopping on a budget.
These workshops are run by Age Concern Hamilton.
Just Cook 4 Healthy Ageing is a shorter, four week hands-on nutrition and cooking programme for older adults. The practical and theory based programme aims to;
- build cooking skills
- improve motivation and confidence to cook
- improve knowledge of healthy food choices
- educate on how to cook meals on a restricted budget
- address social isolation among older people
The Just Cook Recipe Book is available on the New Zealand Nutrition Foundation website and the programme is offered in Auckland.
For more information
Age Concern Auckland and Age Concern Otago also run excellent nutrition presentations. Some Age Concerns will integrate healthy eating information into their other health promotion activities like monthly meeting topics.
Enter your postcode below to find your local Age Concern and the nutrition programmes available near you, or visit our page on Nutrition
in the A-Z health topics list.