Age Concern Taupo
- Support Services, Information, Advice and Personal Advocacy: Responding in person/phone to a range of queries from older people and their carers eg. Advising where to obtain a service, what is available. Providing confidential support and empowerment to older people.
- Information Resources: Providing written materials eg. pamphlets and resources eg. videos and books.
- Accredited Visiting Service
- Education: Holding education seminars for the public eg. positive ageing
- Elder Abuse Response Service in South Waikato: Provides direct assistance for older people experiencing elder abuse and neglect.
- Total Mobility Scheme: Providing assessment for people with a disability and provision of a Total Mobility card for discount taxi fares.
- Loan of equipment: Such as wheelchairs and walkers
- Other services included: Senior Social Connections groups, Informative health related speaker, Monthly Friendship Group, Monthly lunches, Carers Support Group for those caring for a family member, and exercise groups. For more information on these services please contact us.
Subscriptions are due in August, $15 single $25 couple and can be paid by Internet banking. Our bank account 030 430 0249877 00. Please include your name.
Donations play an important part in funding Age Concern Taupo allowing us to provide essential services to older people in our community. Donations are welcome at any time.
Simon and Judith began attending Age Concern Taupo’s monthly Friendship Group meetings. They were able to bring their small dog, and they often provided delicious baking for morning tea.
Judith is legally blind, but in her words has “supersonic hearing”. She worked as a scientist before she started losing her sight in her thirties. Judith became a volunteer visitor and was matched with Miriam, who also cannot see. A very special relationship has developed.
Our local council has a Disability Access Group and, along with our fieldworker, Judith attends these meetings where issues are discussed. Her input is greatly valued.
Judith says Age Concern has been great for her and Simon. She appreciates having the transport service we provide, and they know that help is just at the end of the phone.