Age Concern Kaitaia + District
He Manaakitanga Kaumātua o Te Hiku o Te Ika
• Support Services, Information, Advice and Personal Advocacy: Responding in person or by phone to a range of queries from older
people and their carers e.g. advising where to obtain a service and what
is available. Providing confidential support and empowerment to older
• Accredited Visiting Service: Our Accredited Visiting Service is a befriending service that provides regular visits to older people who would like more company.
• Information Resources: Providing written materials eg. Pamphlets, Brochures and Books.
• Education: Holding education seminars for the public e.g. positive ageing, Enduring Power of Attorney, health and wellbeing.
• Elder Abuse Response Service: Providing confidential support, advocacy and information for people facing elder abuse and neglect.
• Total Mobility Scheme: Provision of Total Mobility taxi vouchers for reduced fares for people with disabilities or health problems.
• Loan of equipment: Wheelchair and Walker, on a daily or weekly basis.
• Sale of Equipment: Aircycles, LifeTubes, and Ecolite Torches.
• Social Activities: Holding events that provide social connection between older people eg. drop-in centres.
Making it easier
Christopher came into our office regularly for support and company, and for help with his finances. He was having some difficulty remembering things, and during one visit he told us he had been unable to find his way home. He said people were following him, which greatly concerned him. When he did eventually make it home he didn’t know where he was. Christopher was scared and shaking as he told us this.
As Christopher’s forgetfulness increased, we were able to assure him that we would do everything we could to help – which comforted him immensely. We have helped him get medical and legal assistance and we facilitated a Needs Assessment so he could move into Residential Care. Christopher is now well cared for. He enjoys having others around him, is eating properly and is calmer and happier.