What is a green prescription?
A green prescription is a health professional’s written advice to a patient to be physically active, as part of the patient’s health management. Green prescriptions are available nationwide, thanks to a partnership with general practitioner groups, and funding from the Ministry of Health.
Being physically active has many benefits. Not only does it make you feel good, it can also help you to:
• Have more energy
• Improve cholesterol levels
• Improve blood sugar levels
• Maintain a healthy weight
• Feel more confident, happy and relaxed
• Reduce stress, feelings of anxiety and depression
• Lower blood pressure
• Improve sleeping habits
• Keep your bones strong
• Cope better with asthma and breathing problems
• Increase flexibility, mobility and reduce the pain of arthritis
• Reduce the risk of some types of cancer
• Reduce the risk of falling
Who are green prescriptions for?
Green prescriptions are for anyone (young and old) who needs to be more active. There are two programmes.
Green prescription for adults
This is for adults who need help to get more active again. Why not try:
• Walking – it’s convenient and cheap. Walk on your own or in a group
• Swimming or aqua fitness – there’s lots you can do in the water
• Dancing – try something new and enjoyable
• Gardening – fresh air and fresh vegetables
• Family fun – join your kids for games in the park or backyard
How the green prescription works
Find a green prescription contact in your area
Visit the green prescription website