Here’s a little food for thought from our new positive ageing ‘cookbook’, Ageing is living: Recipes for life.
Like yeast in a bread mix, family helps us rise above ourselves. It enfolds us in a whole that is bigger than the sum of its parts, an organism that has a life of its own.
Most people will say that the really important people in their lives are those they think of as family. A family shares joy and pain and knows that we are stronger when we depend on one another.
Family is our link to the past (ancestors) our line to the future (children) and an anchor to the present. Older family members often have special roles to play.
- What role do you play in your family? How does it make you feel?
- What are your family’s strengths? Are you making the most of these?
- What role do your ancestors play in your life?
- How does your family celebrate special occasions like birthdays and weddings?
- How do you support one another in hard times?
- Do you have family traditions? Holidays together? Sunday dinners? Can you create new ones?
- Do you have special family memories? Stories and jokes that get told again and again?
- Is it time to start writing your family history or your own life story?
You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you, as you are to them - Desmond Tutu